Tuesday, March 4, 2008

potluck, carnaval,

Seeing as how I eat up all the sweets and gyros here (pictures in next post! promise!), I'm trying to keep up running on a regular basis. What I really like about running here is the amazing view from a quarter of the track:
And though we could do gyros everyday no problem, our pockets say no...eating out can't happen everyday. So, sometimes, we'll settle for some simple spaghetti, or frozen pizza, or a bunch of snacks. Then someone brilliant thought of a :potluck: [there's about 20 of us living in the same building] so with our powers combined, here are the AMAZING results!!!

Jen and I contributed by serving devilled eggs.

Just look at this dessert. Baklava was bought. Everything else hoooommeeemade. We have amazing cooks - thank goodness!

Last Thursday was MEAT Thursday and people were going crazy in the main square. It was like halloween, with many disturbing costumes of guys dressed up like girls, but I learned my lesson to NOT EVER wear a toga in Greece again. I got so many stares. And then, people who saw me, told their friends, and then whole groups were staring at me. Very awkward and weird and well, I guess I stood out! (i just don't see how it was any worse than guys dressed up as french maids...but that's my American view.)

This was the most adorable boy in ALL of Thessaloniki that night. =)
a camel!

the square
Jen and Me. She did NOT do the toga as planned. =( Maybe if there had been two of us, there would've been less staring??
Jen, me, Dino
They were supposed to make a face. =)

Mk. Other than that...yesterday I had the most amazing night doing NOTHING. Sat in my bed with a great book (Searching for God Knows What by Donald Miller - same author as Blue Like Jazz), English breakfast tea mixed with the perfect amount of milk, and a chocolate biscuit that was on sale at the grocery store. It was amazing. I'm planning on repeating tonight. hahaha

Definitely having difficulty trying to buckle down to study for the MCAT, but it's coming along...

It's been a fiasco trying to find a piano and I miss it SO MUCH. We found a couple of them, but they were horribly out of tune: if you play one note, it sounds like the mallet is hitting two different notes. Kinda makes you cringe..doesn't it?

That was a LONG post!!! How is everybody else???

6 comments:

MiSURA said...

people were staring at you b/c you look great! :)

AHH devilled eggs. yummmmm!

my outlook explorer hasn't been responding well but i wrote you an email earlier today. hope you get it ...soon.

hannah said...

"they were SUPPOSED to make a face" - HAHAHHAAHHHAHA!!!!

and i second audrey's comment! (minus the email =)

that kid is adorable!!! i'm there SOO SOON!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Crystal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Crystal said...

Hey Joyce! It's Anthony's gf, Crystal. I saw your blog URL on Johnny's Myspace...looks like your having a lot of fun! Hope so! You looked so cute in the toga!

Janet said...

toga! haha, that's so awesome. :)

alice said...

joyyyyyyce! updates updates!!!
we miss youuuu!!!