Thursday, February 7, 2008

Pictureless update. =(

I've been trying to load pictures onto the blog, but my computer has not been responding well to the ethernet cord, so I decided to do just a little more explaining and less visuals.

Orientation for school started yesterday, and it ends tomorrow with a trip to Vergina (pronounced with a hard 'g' and rolled r as Vergeenah) to see Alexander the Great's father's tomb. Not being the greatest history buff, hopefully I will know all about Alexander the Great, before we leave through wikipedia. =)

Today's most eventful memory was the hour of learning Greek dancing. (Like in My Big Fat Greek Wedding.) We all stood in a HUGE circle and managed to keep our circle somewhat connected doing the three-step dance. :and: Greece's new US embassador came to visit during our dance session and joined our circle of fun. =)

I'm still getting used to the walking, but the grocery store is just 10 minutes away, along with a whole string of other stores - fastfood, bakeries up the wazoo (yay!), rent-a-cars, electronic stores, etc...and then shopping a little ways down.
My favorite food so far is a gyro from this fast-food place called "The Best". It's a comPLETEly accurate name. =D Stuffed with pork, chicken, fries, tomatoes, ketchup, mayo, and this spread that's put on all types of bread (yogurt+cucumbers+leafy something), this thing is massive and filling and delicious. If I remember to take my camera next time, the roasting meat is pretty cool to see! They're on vertical spits prolly....3 feet tall and everyting looks juicy as can be.

My roommate is amazing and my room is nice and toasty since the heater started working. School seems like it should be interesting:

1. Ethnographic Accounts of Greek Culture (something like that...)
2. The Doings and Writings of Anthropology (it seems like an independent study - i'll be researching Greek music! should be cool)
3. Greek 101
4. International Relations

Classes in just 4 days from now. It feels weird to be thinking about school and deadlines and such.

I think I might be one of those 'homesick' candidates pretty soon - hopefully won't hit me too hard. =)

I'll try to post some pictures next time!!

4 comments:

MiSURA said...

yay gyrossss
sounds great, joyce !
ahhh i can't wait for you to post up pictures.

til sunday !~

hannah said...

AHAHHHHHH!!!!!! YOU GOT TO MEET THE AMBASSADOR OF GREECE!!!!! =D and i canNOT wait until i eat one of those gyros!!! i LOVE gyros!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! but not NEARLY as much as i love you!!! =)

Becca A. said...

You get to learn Greek? I am *so* jealous!!

Now that you're the expert, is it "ji-ros" or "yee-ros"?

Joyce Oh said...

hahahh it IS yee-ros.